A chatbot is a way to make someone feel like they are having a conversation with the computer by responding in a personal way. This involves asking questions and then using the answers to respond. Students have learned about using a variable that is assigned in the “Ask” block and then how to use that variable in an “if” to take an action based on the variable’s value.
Lesson 4: Chat with your Sprite
Ask about a favorite season or holiday and change the background based on the answer.
Ask more questions about the season or holiday and reflect back the answers.
- Ask yes or no questions so that it is easy to check the answer in the “if”
- Make sure to use the “else” so you can respond no matter what the user types in.
- Ask the person’s name so that you can use the name to respond personally
- Ask more questions based on how the person responds to your initial question (i.e. Halloween - you might ask about costumes or candy)
These how-to topics are a great review for the chatbot project.
- How to use the ASK block
- How to use the if and if-else block
Take a look at the if-elif-else block in the toolkit to see how you can compare 3 or more values